Friday, November 27, 2009

So I was thinking about self discipline and I decided the difference between the disciplined and the undisciplined is about 30 minutes. Or in other words really not that much. I'm saying this in regards to the Thanksgiving clean up. You know the house was in good condition to start. By the end of the festivities it is like a bit of a hurricane. This is always how it is at any family gathering. After everyone was was gone the kids and Jeremy( who works at 3 a.m.) were ub bed, I sat back thinking, "man I'm tired." I just wanted to veg a little. I thought of my mother, grandmother, and mother-in-law, the ultra disciplined and decided that just 30 minutes would put me back where I started. 30 minutes isn't much and my day tomorrow will be so much better if I do it. I would have been justified in putting it off but I'm happy to report that discipline won out this time and I put in my 30 minutes. I wish discipline always won out, life is so much better when we exercise a little self discipline. The problem is we have to do it in all aspects of life and well it is a balancing act we just have to keep tweaking. If anyone has this art form down, please contact me asap. So grandma, who I have been thinking about lots lately, thanks for your wonderful example of self discipline, maybe one day I will become the women you are. Here is hoping.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Kim

Great job! The 30 minutes of cleanup is certainly worth it the next morning - because it takes a more 30 minutes the next day with all the extra "help" from the kids!

I am glad your Thanksgiving was enjoyable!!

We talked to Jeremy briefly on Thursday and he said it was FUN, but busy with the crowd ... but good memories were made!

Belated Happy Thanksgiving to YOU!!

Linda

Jessica O. said...

Great job hosting. It is a lot of work but well worth it in the end. You have made memories and a skill that many can't claim. I also try to think what would Mom do? Wade helped me and I woke up on Friday to a blissfully clean house. Grandma was an extraordinary woman and en excellent example of lots of things. We should all try to emulate her. Nice blog!

Nicole said...

Well said Kim. I should print this out and head to the treadmill.

Natty said...

I'm glad your dinner went well. That 30 min. is hard when you're exhausted but sooo nice the next morning. Love you!

Turpin Times said...

I agree with the 30 minute thing. When my boys were babies I made the commitment to never go to bed with a messy house. I have stuck to that most days, and it makes a good start for the new day.

Jerry said...

Kim,
Sometimes I try to work really fast and I think that by the time my guests are home I am cleaned up. It is kind of fun to see how fast you can make a difference in how your home looks. Love, MOM