My aunt Colleen is a part of some of my earliest memories. Growing up we were always close with my Moms family. We visited my grandparents often, and had family parties at our house. We were close and I loved getting together with my aunts, uncles, and cousins. There is twelve years between my mom and her sister Colleen. So there were several years when my mom had young children and Colleen was single. She would often come and visit us on Sundays. Collen would often take my siblings and I out for ice cream at Smiths. I always got bubble gum ice cream. It seemed like one of us usually dropped our cone on the floor. It probably only happened once, but you know how memories get jumbled.
In my baby book there is a picture of Colleen holding me. My family had gone to the "hills" as my grandpa would say, to gather pine nuts. We did this a few times over the years when we would visit my grandparents in Minersville.
When Colleen got married after a few years her and her husband Rick built a house about 10 minutes from my parents and over the years our families spent quite a bit of time together. Christmas Eve's, Sunday evening visits. I spent a lot of time in the Cobia home as a young teenager babysitting. Often my friend Natalie would come with me. I have good memories of boating, going to Lake Powell and just spending time together.
A few weeks ago Colleen was in a horseback riding accident and suffered a spinal cord injury. Me being a nurse, I can't think of many challenges that would be more difficult. She is now a paraplegic, while I am hopeful that this condition will not be permanent, we recognize the need to make preparations for home life in a wheelchair. As I contemplated what I could do, I found inspiration from a man who lives in my area, and coincidentally across the street from my aunt.
Five or 6 years ago, he suffered a similar injury. He is a quadriplegic, and has regained some usage of his arms. While I don't personally know this man, I've developed a love and reverence for him. He spoke in my church meeting last week, and he spoke on miracles. He talked about he small miracle in his life and how when he is looking for them, they are in our lives everyday. He mentioned how he had loved all things outdoors, and related to farming, prior to his injury. He also said how one of the things he was still able to do, was mow his lawn on his riding mower. The whole meeting long I was fighting tears. He was an amazing man. Later in the following meeting, it was announced that this man was going to mow lawns of anyone that wanted him to, and the money would go to Collen, his goal was to earn 2000 dollars in order to buy her a special bed that will help prevent pressure sores. It really made me think about how busy, I "think" I am and how many opportunities I probably miss in serving others. So I decided I wanted to help in some way.
I spoke with my brother in law who happens to organize races for a living to see if he could give me some advice on maybe setting up some sort of fun run as a fundraiser, in order to make the Cobia home wheelchair accessible. He said he had a better idea and I think he was right. He is an organizer of the DIRTY DASH, and obstacle course race that looks like a blast. He said he would give me a promo code and any participant who registered for the race using the promo code coinforcolleen, 25% of the entrance fee will go directly to the Cobia family. So join me in the DIRTY DASH and lets earn some money for the Cobia's and we'll get a little dirty, or a lot, and also have lots of fun while we do it. So go to http://www.thedirtydash.com/ and register today, and don't forget the promo code: coinforcollen. September 17 & 24, 2011 Salt Lake or August 27, 2011 Boise.
I'm also hoping to spend a little more time in my own life recognizing the small miracles that are in my life, and taking the time to be grateful in all things. I have so many blessings in my life, and as Colleen said to me when I went to visit her, "I hope one day I can pay it forward." I'm hoping to be able to do the same as I have been the recipient of much help in my life over the past few years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
AWESOME! Natalie has been talking to me about this great generosity and plan, and I've been spreading the word. Let me know if you want me to put up some flyers around my part of town. Good work Kimma. This is good news!
This will be super fun. Hopefully we get a lot of people signed up!
Post a Comment