Thursday, August 4, 2011

Self Esteem Shoot Down

So this week my kids are trying to do a number on my self esteem. Monday night I was jumping on the tramp with Andrew. We were going to play add on, where one person does a trick and then you do theirs and add yours to it. Andrew did a flip, and we had just eaten and I said I'm getting old, I don't know if I can do that. I'm hoping if I wasn't full I could just flip around. Maybe I'll have to try tonight. Anyways, after I said, "I'm getting old." Andrew chimed in with, "Yeah, you're almost 40." For the record, I'm closer to 30 than 40, and 40's not old. We laughed and I had to razz him for calling me old.
Then last night Anna hit me hard with her comments. She took a really long nap yesterday and woke up around 5. So last night after she had been in bed for over an hour she started calling for me. She had been quiet so I thought she had been sleeping. When I went in there, it was clear she hadn't even fallen asleep yet. I told her to come to the kitchen with me and she helped make jam. Sometimes it is nice to let one kid stay up late when all the others are sleeping. You get some fun one on one. She was darling and she helped with the jam and wanted to help with the dishes. This generally makes for more work, but I remind myself of the importance of letting them help. I made her some toast with the jam we made and she said, "this sure is good toast you made me mom." She has the most cutest voice ever so sometimes it makes things seem cuter than maybe they are. Anyways, after we were done she wanted to lay by me so I told she could lay by me while I read. After I got ready for bed, I climbed in by her and she said in the quietest whisper, with her fingers held up indicating a small amount, "mom, you look a teeny-tiny, bit ugly." I'm not use to this from my kids. They are usually very complimentary to me. So I guess I'm old and ugly, and these sources don't lie! Kids, they're keepin me humble.

2 comments:

Jer + Lu said...

LMAO! That is freaking hilarious! Your kids are too cute. Don't take it personally ;)

Heather said...

What a cutie.