Imagine if you will, it is your first date in ten years. So naturally, you are a bit nervous, you haven't done this in a long time, and the last time you did you certainly didn't have any kids in the picture. Then imagine being picked up at your parents house. One word comes to mind, right?
Humiliation.
In the first few minutes of my first date after reentering the dating world, my date asked me, "So what time is you curfew?" Just teasing me about living with the parents. It was even better when later in the eveing, and it was late, we'd lost track of time. My Dad called wondering where I was. I didn't answer of course, or maybe I did, I can't remember. But immediately my date was asking,
"Who calls you this late?"
"That'd, be my Dad."
"Seriously?"
"Serious as a heart attack."
One of the joys of living with the parents as an adult. Having someone checking in on you, something you haven't been accomstomed to for quite some time.
A friend of mine wanted to set me up. The first thing the guy asked her was, "Does she live with her parents?"
The answer, "Yes, but..." at the time I was still at my parents, house getting close to moving back to mine.
Followed by, "Is she ugly?"
I'm kidding I don't think that was the exact words, but I'm sure he asked something to this effect.
Another poetential set up asked if I was a sweet spirit.
It can be brutal out there. Luckily I've had good luck thus far.
Dating now, is better in a lot of ways than it was in my younger days. I'm comfortable with myself. You either like me or you don't, and I'm ok with it. I don't have to be liked by everyone, I like myself so, if you don't, oh well. Can't please everyone, so you might as well please yourself. Right? That sounds really selfish, but there is some truth in it. You've gotta be true to yourself. Dating is also worse. It's a logistical nightmare. Trying to schedule a date into your already over scheduled life is well, difficult. Plus at this age everyone has significantly more bagage, me included.
So to anyone over 30 in the dating arena, best of luck to you. And hey, just think, it could be worse... you could be living with your parents, and trying to get a date...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Your dad is awesome. I met someone who is 75 years old and reminds me of him so much.
Have fun!
Laughed my way all through this one Kim. Keep em coming:)
Our Dad did that? (HEE HEE). I know he did because our big gossip family. I think Dad called me even before you had arrived home. He is a hoot! But don't forget he is your protector.
oh my goodness! that is so dang funny! good luck out there! you deserve the best. go get em!
All I can say is....I'm so sorry Kim. I wouldn't wish dating on my worst enemy. Welcome to this crazy world.
Been thinking of ya lately. Thanks for the good laugh. You are a strong woman and I admire what you are doing. Hang in there and keep the dating stories comin'. loves.
Love that!
Hey Kim -
I saw this link to your blog on Andria's blog. You are entertaining, and also sooo gorgeous! Your dating story is funny, but somehow I doubt you'll be dating very long.... :) Lots of love,
Mel Brenchley
Ah, love your Dad! I think it is great what he did. Good luck with the dating scene Kim. I really do think you are amazing for how you are handling everything.
YOU are too Cute!
You are too funny!! I love how you tell it just like it is :) Glad you're getting out there + making the most of it.
ps-sounds like you have some pretty cool friends ;)
Post a Comment