Saturday, August 14, 2010

Perspective...

The good thing about my job for me, is often when I need it most it gives me a dose of perspective. It keeps me grounded. The last year of my life has been probably the most difficult ever. As I drove to work on Thursday night, I think I was feeling a bit sorry for myself. I was tired, and didn't want to work another night shift. It is an ordeal getting all the kids in the car, dropping them at my parents everytime I work. Not to mention the inconvenience this is to my parents. I will never be able to repay them for all they've done for me over the last several months. Anyways, it was a good shift for me. It gave me perspective, and helped me to remember to be grateful for all I have. I took care of two women that evening, both difficult situations. The first had lost her baby late in the 2nd trimester. It is always a sombering experience to be part of the delivery of a baby who has past away.

The second lady was really the kicker for me. She had recently been diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension, a severe case, and the liklihood of her living to raise her children isn't great. She delivered her son about 2 and half months early, has a husband who works across the country and 3 small children at home, being cared for by her sister. Talk about more than one person can bear. She had an amazing attitude. She was funny, and I think just doing what she had to, to make it through. I quickly gained appreciation for my own set of challenges, felt grateful for my health, the ability to work, and odds are I'll get to see me children grow up. Sure it's not fun to cry with your little girl cause she's sad that mom and dad don't live together. In fact, it's heartbreaking. All I could do was cry with her, and say sorry. But at least I got to be there with her. The commen denominator between my patients circumstances and mine, was family. She had amzaing support from her family and I have amazing support from mine.
My sister is having a little boy in her neigborhood over 3 mornings a week before school in order to help out a single mom. Someone said she was crazy and I said, "I'm glad your doing it, I need someone to do that for me. " She responded with, "that's why I'm doing it. I'm hoping karma will kick in and someone will help you out." That pretty much sums up my family. They are great and I'm lucky to have them, my kids are lucky to have them, and I'm grateful for the amazing examples I am surrounded by. I guess the point of any challenge in life is to teach us to be more compassionate and less judgemental towards others. So, I'm grateful for my job, and for the impact this patient had on me. It was a great reminder of all of my blessings and came at a time when I needed it.

7 comments:

Jen said...

As always Kim you are an inspiration. I am right there in Kaysville if you ever need anything. I really mean that. I'm single and I have a lot of free time on my hands. Let me know if you ever need a buddy or someone to take the kids. It would be my pleasure.

Jessica O. said...

Nicely written!

Heather said...

Why was I blessed with such amazing friends?

Heather said...

Couldn't agree more Miss Kimma. Hang on to those reminders. Your family is fantastic. You are too. Thanks for your great example. Love you. Congrats on the new challenge!

Jerry said...

Kim we miss you. It has been a crazy 6 months but it is very quiet at home. Your Dad misses being the hero. I had those same feelings almost every day that I came to work when you kids were little. It keeps you going when things get tough. MOM

Jocelyn said...

What a great post Kim. Thanks for sharing your life on your blog. Love ya.

Music Mama said...

I just love you. You are amazing! And it sounds like you are handling things beautifully.