Saturday, April 24, 2010

I think I Can


"THE MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN"

If you think you are beaten, you are; If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you'd like to win, but think you can't It's almost a cinch you won't.
If you think you'll lose, you've lost, For out in the world we find Success beings with a fellow's will; It's all in the state of mind.
If you think you're outclassed, you are: You've got to think high to rise.
You've got to be sure of yourself before You can ever win a prize.
Life's battles don't always go To the stronger or faster man, But soon or late the man who wins Is the man who thinks he can.

When I was a school age girl I was obsessed with quotes. I remember collecting them and putting them in a little black 3 ringed binder. I got them from all sorts of places and I'm not sure where I came across this one, but something reminded me of it the other day. I still remember the yellowed 5x7 card it was typed on. Typewriter print. I loved, and really believed in its message. I also love the corresponding book with the post, The Little Engine Who Could. This is one I read to my kids often, and when the get frustrated or whine about there inability to do something I will chant, I think i can I think i can. Very often it works, and they will at least try the task which seems insurmountable. Sometimes they are able to solve their own problem, and others they still need someone to intervene, but the point is they try.
The question I have about this is why as an adult is this harder for me to believe? I mean, I honestly believe in the message and know it is true, but I find myself lacking sufficient faith. What is it about life that makes us cynical, skeptical or a little jaded? How do we take what life hands us and rather than becoming bitter and jaded, use our experiences to be more compassionate, forgiving, and accepting? I guess I've come to the conclusion, we make a choice. We have a choice each day, are we a I think I can train, or an I think I can't? Sometimes I'm both; and I'd guess, we all vacillate with this at times. So here's to making the conscious choice, to see the cup half full, and remember Life is Good. Have you seen this brand? It is a little tree huggerish but I like it. I bought myself a Life is Good Hat in St. George to help me remember, when I forget. Life's Good!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great post! love it!

Jessica O. said...

My experience is this...attitude is everything! I truly believe this and maybe it was that book when I was little but I truly believe in it's message. Great post!

Linda said...

You can and life is good! You have 3 beautiful children and a very supportive family - you are blessed despite your challenges!

Heather said...

Sometimes I think as we get older, we gain experience that works against our optimism. Jess is right, attitude is everything. It takes work and vigilance. YOU CAN!