
Where is December going? It seems to be running away from me and I wanted to record some random thoughts. First I love Christmas. Everything about it. The lights, the decorations, the tree. I love that tonight Anna stole the baby Jesus from the Nativity and wanted to play with it. Don't get me wrong I didn't let her keep it or play with it or anything ( it is my beloved olive wood nativity I bought in Jerusalem.) It just made me happy because I remember doing the same thing and having a fascination with the baby Jesus, as a little girl. I remember how much my mom loved her nativity and I think it was my favorite decoration to put up and I also remember fighting with my sisters about how it was "suppose" to be. As if that matters.
I think it is funny I never knew Christmas was a lot of work until having children. It is work, stress, and sometimes you wonder if amongst the stress we are missing the point? I try to enjoy the festivities but remember the real meaning and I am hoping my kids are getting the real meaning.
I went to the movie Blindside last night. I'm a big fat sorry sap so, I loved it. It amazes me that the different "lives" people live just stone throws away from one another. Some with so much opportunity and some with so little and so much to overcome. It makes me sad cause I think of the potential wasted and what all the kids who just never got a fair shot at life may have become with the right molding? Do you ever wonder about this or why you have had the opportunities you have? I do. Then I wonder if I've made the most of them. I guess the lesson is to remember it and make the most of the ones right now.
Movies that touch on the life of inner city kids always for some reason makes me think of my, Andrew. I have no idea what kind of life he may have had but I think that he is why I always feel so moved by shows like this. I think how sad it would make me if my boy had a life like this and think of how many kids really do have a crack addict for a momma. And you know the thing about kids, they love there parents no matter what horrors they put them through. And you know, I think those moms love there kids the same as I love mine; they're just stuck in a bad rut. Who hasn't been in a rut? But "ruts" come on varying scales so I guess I will be grateful for mine, cause you start looking around and you realize how lucky you are. So enough babbling. Nine days till Christmas, I better go and wrap some gifts!
7 comments:
Ditto Kimma. Chris and I had a rare movie night for his bday and saw that movie too. I was emotional through the whole thing. What a great thing to remember...how blessed we are and to make the most of the opportunities we have been given. I am SO EXCITED to see you soon!
Kimma, I think you're right on about opportunities. I wonder often why I was born into such a great family with every opportunity. I believe you are taking full advantage of what you have been given. Good work. I hope I get to see you when you're home. So when you are with Natty, call me! And BE CAREFUL on your journey here. LOVE YOU! Merry Christmas!
I love Christmas too and am hoping my kids are learning the tru meaning of Christmas as well! There is so much hustle and things going on, I hope I'm doing a good enough job at teaching them what is important! Sometimes it seems so hard! I too loved that movie! What a great feel good movie. I always want to try harder to give people the benefit of the doubt and help them more when I see movies like that. I want to be as good and trusting as she was. Are you coming to Utah? Can I see you?
Kim
I have heard that Blindside is an awesome movie - Rory and I need to go see it! Did Jeremy see it, too?
Wow - Christmas is fast approaching! I bet the kids are getting so excited!!
When you talk about wrapping gifts, I wish I was there to help. I have fond memories of helping to wrap gifts last Christmas Eve with you!
So ... you are planning on driving to Utah. You know me, I worry about the long trip for just you and the kids - I hope the weather and all conditions are good for you!!
Lots of love ... Linda
Kim,
I too went to see the Blindside just to see what it was about. It made me think of Boo and how the trajectory of her life has changed because of adoption. I get teary-eyed every time I think of the life she almost had.. But I the movie make me think mostly of my oldest son who is on his way to college and how much I'm going to miss him. I hope I've taught him well. I always love reading your blog it makes me swell up with emotion in some way.. I've enjoyed getting to know you through your blog.
sorry for the confusing part of my last comment I hope you get it anyway.. (shoot me.)
Love this post....and I also love these movies.
Another topic, will you please email me you address for my christmas card list?
Love ya.
Post a Comment