Sunday, November 22, 2009

Musings


I can hardly believe the Week of Thanksgiving is upon us. 2009 is coming to a close and I find myself wondering where has it gone? The older I get the more the phrase 'time flies' means. Life is going at warp speed and daily I am reminding myself to enjoy the moment the task at hand, because all too quickly, the children who make me want to pull my hair out during the hour of sacrament meeting, will be grown and gone.

It is funny with the holidays closing in my usual feelings of nostalgia are here and stronger than ever as this is my first Thanksgiving and will be first Christmas away from family. I have started listening to Christmas Cd's while driving in my car to home care visits. The phrases "I'll be home for Christmas," and "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas," have taken on new meaning. They have intensified my longing for home.

We will be hosting Thanksgiving at our house with two young families in our ward and it will be fun but not the same as keeping with usual traditions. I am looking forward to the preparations, cooking, yummy food, and delicious smells emanating from my kitchen.

In all honesty I am not ready for this time of year to be here. I need 1-2 more months to prepare. I guess the key is to simplify, enjoy celebrating the reason for the season. instead of the commercialized side of Christmas. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving week and we remember all we have to be grateful for. Happy Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

Heather said...

I understand how you're feeling. Although we are home, we are without any of my family this year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is a first for us! We are trying to plan some fun things of our own with our own little family and remember how grateful we are for the memories we do have of always being together with lots of family for the holidays! Happy Thanksgiving!

Heather said...

Happy Thanksgiving Kimma. It will be a great holiday for you all.

Turpin Times said...

Happy Thanksgiving Kim!

Jessica O. said...

Remember home is where your heart is. You will do great and it's always good to take on new responsibility and learn something new. You and I will be hosting our first Thanksgiving's. Enjoy the moment and remember I'm thankful for you.

Linda said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Enjoy the opportunity to celebrate with other young families!
Rory and I really enjoyed those times when we were first married and we were not around family.
It was a good growing time for us as a family!
Enjoy your yummy meal and all those pies that you made today!!
Lots of love ... Linda

Jerry said...

Kim,
You will have a great Thanksgiving and I am so proud of my Children making such a good meal and actually really enjoying it.
Love, MOM