Thursday, October 22, 2009

Thoughts from today


So tonight at dinner we were discussing nicknames. Lu Lu; Lu Badoo; Balou, which Lexie does not like being called. She informs me I can call her that on her next birthday. Andrew chimed in with,

"Call me sugar."

Me: "Can I call you brown sugar?"

Andrew "yeah, I'll pull your earrings, white sugar." in a teasing tone.

It was funny we all laughed.

The other darling interaction from dinner went something like this. We were playing the game "best part of your day" and idea we got from a family in our old ward. Each family member tells an event which was the BEST from the day. We were all going around sharing, and when it was my turn I said," the best part of my day was.." and Andrew finished it for me with, "picking me up from school."

I must say he is such a delight. We had parent teacher conference today and I'm happy to report he is doing well. On his testing his teacher said he did very well. He struggles staying on task, but we are working on this. I'm grateful he has a teacher who is so good. I can tell she genuinely enjoys having him in her class and I am thankful for this. I feel so lucky his first year of school is shaping up to be a positive experience. Some of the positive things he has picked up at school are: "Happy to do it," "Yes Ma'am", and "Yes, Sir." I think this is great and if there is one thing we can take home from the Texans is their great manners, I hope to continue to incorporate this into our family. School has been so good for Andrew. He has been more obedient and he is learning lots. It has been a big adjustment, some days he comes home and crashes on the couch. The other morning when I woke him up, he said, "Mom I'm tired, Miss Pemberton won't let me take a nap." He is always starving when he gets home, today he polished off a 1 and a half tuna sandwiches (with apples and diced onions in it. I got this idea form my friend Amy and work, thank you by the way. May sound gross or maybe it doesn't, but it was the best tuna sandwich I've ever had.) We are grateful for a great kindergarten teacher, family dinners together, and fun interactions with the kiddos. It really is the little things which mean the most. Although I don't always remember this. Thank you Andrew for the darling sweet boy you are and for the sweet spirit you take with you to school each day. You are a positive influence on those around you keep up the good work!

11 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Kim...I love this post...it sounds so much like Andrew....'call me sugar'. Miss you tons but I am glad to are starting to like Texas. As for the manners, that is so cute. I love it when little kids say Yes Sir....love ya

Jessica O. said...

He is a darling boy. I can't wait to hear him say "yes mam". Great Post. It is sometimes hard to live in the moment but so very worth it when we do. I love you and miss you.

Jen said...

So cute, it is adorable when little kids say yes sir and yes mam.

Alissa said...

Kim you are a great mom and are starting great traditions your kids will always remember dinner time! It truly is the little things that matter!

Jerry said...

Kim and Jeremy, you are great parents and your kids, (my Grandkids are great) I miss you keep writing it keeps us connected. Love, MOM

Heather said...

Hi Kimma! I need your address asap. I've got something for the mailman to take to you.
I'm so happy to hear that Andrew is having good experiences at school. He is a cutie pie. I like your dinner conversations. And I'll have to try the tuna recipe.
I am looking forward to seeing you and your family again!

Linda said...

What a great post!
Family dinners together with good/fun converations will always be a great memory for you and your family.
It was so fun to walk Andrew to school, have lunch with him at school and also help pick him from school during our visit. He does have a wonderful teacher.
We miss all of you!!
Love...Grandma Linda

Maranda said...

That is so sweet. What a darling boy you have:)

I am going to have to try the sandwich. So is it green onions or yellow onions, then just some chopped up apples?

Kim Ward said...

Maranda, I used yellon onion cause I already had some chopped in the fridge. I think anything would work but purple or red whatever you call them would be the best and dice up some apple. It was good!

Natty said...

Andrew is a brown sugar doll face! I am so glad that school is better and his teacher is great. What fun traditions you have that your kiddos will love to look back on. I will have to try the tuna while Chris is at work since he dry heaves anytime he smells it. So sad. Love you.

Jessica said...

Soo cute! Promise the next time we are in beautiful Texas we will see you!!