Wednesday, October 28, 2009

So on Monday I was in Crandall Texas. Little place. Lots of country roads, fields, cows tractors, lots of beauty. I drive there once a week to see a home care patient of mine. The drive is beautiful, every time I drive it I think oh I wish I had my camera at least once on the trek, I never do and even if I did I would not have time to stop, cause lets face it I'm usually running late, I'm working on it. But this week as I was at this ladies house I couldn't wait for the visit to be over and to just be home. She lives on one of the beautiful country roads, with cows and sparkly light shining of the tall yellowing grass. I always see lots of great places for family photos. Anyhow, her driveway is long and also a dirt road. It had been raining, of course because despite what people say, it rains all the time in Texas. The road was all muddy and of course on my way out I got stuck. My patient, (after I had called and been charged for a tow truck) called a neighbor, Farmer Joe. For some reason I was so impressed with this man. We come from very different worlds, of that I am sure. He had a curly mullet, the tightest wranglers I have ever seen, and the bluest eyes. He came over in the middle of his day stopped what he was doing to help a total stranger. He got down in the mud to tie a rope onto my car. Then a few minutes later when he notice I was shivering in the rain, he came over to me, gave me his coat and said, "give the back to, ie my patient (HIPPA), next time you see her." He was sweet, a gentleman, and on a day when I just felt down, his kindness genuinely made a difference for me. Thank you cowboy Joe, with your tight wranglers, beautiful eyes, and curly thick hair. I will always remember you and hopefully find a way to spread the kindness onto the next person.

7 comments:

Linda said...

Each and every story you tell of Texans is impressive. They are polite and thoughtful people!

What vehicle got stuck (Honda van or Subaru wagon)? Hopefully, your insurance will pay the tow fee?!

How is your "new to you" van?
I bet it is nice to have enough room for the kids without the hassle of the tight fit with carseats!

Just an FYI - Oprah had a show the other day about the Texas State Fair. She spent time at the Fair and did lots of taste tests on all the fried foods.

Take care ... I hope things are going good!!

Cheri said...

Make sure you take your camera one day, I would love to see your photos.

Jen said...

That is such a sweet story, please go early next time with your camera. I would love to see some pictures.

Heather said...

I tell you, I've never met a Texan I didn't like!
Love you!

Jessica O. said...

It is the small acts of service that make a difference. I know I need to follow Cowboy Joes example.

Heather said...

That is a great story! I need to remember to be mroe like cowboy Joe!

Natty said...

Its good to know there's still some true cowboy gentlemen out there. Love you, Kimma!