Monday, July 27, 2009

Nostalgia

Anna, Andrew, and Lexie October 2008
Sometimes in the middle of a season, I will get an overwhelming feeling that the next is upon me. The other day I had the feeling of fall; the crispness of the air, crunchiness of leaves, the feeling of a fresh start, that for me I associate with the starting of a new school year. Pulling out the sweaters, the fall colors: red, orange, yellow, brown. Thinking about what to be for Halloween. These are the emotions and feelings of fall. For some reason in the middle of July on a 90+ day it felt like fall. Can seasons be feelings? For me they can. The start of each new season denotes certain feelings, emotions, smells. There is excitement and sadness all rolled into one. The adventure that the new holds and the sadness that the old has past. Did I make the most of it, did I do all I should have? Did I enjoy it to it's fullest extent because it is gone for another year. I'm wondering if anyone else gets these whiffs of nostalgia associated with seasons in the middle of the preceding season. Or is this crazy talk? Which is probably the case. Well just my random ramblings. So do any of you get Seasonal Nostalgia?

8 comments:

Jen said...

I do find myself getting nostaligic at times. It hasn't happened yet but it will for me in about September. I will smell the air and it will (for just a moment) smell like October. Yes, I think October has its every own smell.

Turpin Times said...

Kim! I have been having that feeling today! You couldn't have said it better.

I am always sad to see the summer end. I have mixed feelings because fall is my favorite season, but I hate the thought of kids back in school. Change is good, though...

Maranda said...

You pinned it on the nose Kim. Seasons are feelings because of what surrounds them. We have routines with family, routines with school, routines with holidays. Those create memories, which cause longing for the past... I have the feeling of nostalgia often. In one way or another wishing I could do some things over. Wishing I had more time to enjoy the present. Wishing for more of all of my treasured moments with the kids. You are so not crazy:)

Thanks for you sweet comment by the way:) Miss you too.

Jessica O. said...

Kim I have this all the time. I've been school shopping and it has put me in a little bit of a fall mood. But then I realize I love summer, heat, swimming, and my kids home. So I guess I better make the most of the rest of the summer. Swimming tomorrow!

Heather said...

I don't know if I get nostalgic, but I have felt the fleeting feelings. I sometimes feel like summer is fleeting away. I only feel this way about the summer season. But I'm trying not to let it take away summer too quickly!

Natty said...

Kim we are so alike it is scary sometimes. I get nostalgic over silly things. Like almost everytime I turn into Pin Oak Circle silly. I think its because I have such fun memories of growing up there. I am missing you alot lately for some reason. I know you're where you're supposed to be for now, but I hope you're not supposed to be there for forever! Love you!

Linda said...

Kim - this next fall season for you will be especially memorable with Andrew starting school. The excitement, but also so many mixed feelings and emotions as your first child begins school!!
Are you ready and is Andrew ready? When does school begin?
We miss all of you!!

Heather said...

I had that feeling this morning! I opened the window I was sitting by early this morning while I was feeding Davis. The air was so nice and cool. As I sat there I started thinking of the things that are ahead of us in just the next month! I too have started some back to school shopping and summer is almost gone and I don't know where it went! What a great time of life ahead of us, but a little sad as well to leave some things behind us!