
So it is true, southern hospitality is alive and well. The other day we were at the swimming pool and one of the moms there corrected her son, he immediately said, "Yes Ma'am." I made a comment about it to her and she said it was drilled into them since they were six months old. On another occasion, a store clerk was helping me out with groceries, he called me Ma'am. I told him I wasn't use to that and he replied,"it was just habit." It seems all who are southern bred, have these excellent manners. All, acknowledge you driving through any neighborhood. People always wave; when you leave a store, or anywhere for that matter, they always wish you well, have a nice day, be careful, drive safe and so forth. It all very genuine, and I have been impressed with the southern hospitality. I hope to instill a little of it in my children, and acquire a little of it myself.
Manners
For a Child of 1918
My grandfather said to me as we sat on the wagon seat, "Be sure to remember to always speak to everyone you meet. "We met a stranger on foot. My grandfather's whip tapped his hat. "Good day, sir. Good day. A fine day ." And I said it and bowed where I sat. Then we overtook a boy we knew with his big pet crow on his shoulder. "Always offer everyone a ride; don't forget that when you get older," my grandfather said. So Willy climbed up with us, but the crow gave a "Caw!" and flew off. I was worried. How would he know where to go?But he flew a little way at a time from fence post to fence post, ahead; and when Willy whistled he answered. "A fine bird," my grandfather said," and he's well brought up. See, he answers nicely when he's spoken to. Man or beast, that's good manners. Be sure that you both always do. "When automobiles went by, the dust hid the people's faces,but we shouted "Good day! Good day! Fine day!" at the top of our voices. When we came to Hustler Hill, he said that the mare was tired, so we all got down and walked, as our good manners required.
Elizabeth Bishop
Manners count. I think good manners will take one further than a first class education. So on that note I wish y'all a good night, and sleep tight.
P.S Check out the children's story, What Do You Say Dear? A Book Of Manners For All Occasions by, Sesyle Joslin
6 comments:
What a great post! Cooper and I were just talking about manners today! I hope my children grow up to be well mannered!
I love that book and so do my boys. I think I'll read it to them tomorrow. I agree manners will take you far. Wade and his family are very well mannered and it helps in the everyday. Great post. It's a tie.
I loved being called ma'am. (Even though I was only 21.) Very good post. My favorite from the book. "Would you like me to shoot you in the head?" "No thank you." My kids laugh and laugh at that part.
thanks for the book tip.
Great Post Kim, I do think manners will take you a long way. I do love that book. Grandma Truman had it and Michael found it for me to give all of you a copy. Love, MOM
I feel like I'm in church reading all your posts(that means I always come away feeling better or having motivation to do something good.)
I didn't really even think about actually saying something to everyone I pass or see. I guess back in 1918 that was the norm. I don't think that would hurt in our society today. I'm sure it would actually be somewhat of a breath of fresh air if you know what I mean.
Thanks for the tip on the book:)
Post a Comment