Grandma and Grandpa Truman June 2001Like it or not, we are so much of who has come before us. I think of the things which were important to my grandparents and my parents, qualities good and bad come through to the next generation, and the chain goes on. When I think of it in this light is makes me nervous about passing on my bad qualities, so I will have to really focus on the good in order to perpetuate that. I'm going to try and be mindful of the Legacy I leave behind. Here are some of the things I see in my family today and where they came from.
- A love for books. Both my parents have always loved to read. They read all types of books and instilled a love of reading in all of their five children. I think they did this by there example, as well as reading to us. I remember my mom reading us books like, Where the Red Fern Grows, Old Yellar, and the like on road trips. I remembering going to Bob's Book Barn with my Dad and Jessica. We would trade in our old books for new ones. I got the Twits there, and it is still one of my all time favorites.
- A green thumb. My grandmother had an amazing garden and grew prize winning peonies. This is a love she passed onto my Mom and she has passed on to her daughters. There is nothing like digging in good dirt and planting. It is the best therapy out there, and I think Grandma knew this.
- Politically Astute. My Grandparents where always very politically active. My grandfather served on the school board, My grandmother was the mayor of Minersville, because when she asked Karl to do it and he said no, she said,"Then I'll do it." And she did. My parents always taught us the importance of doing our civic duty and voting and were always abreast of the current events. I admittedly am not as well informed as I should be, but my siblings certainly are. Jason is always listening to some sort of news and knows what is going on in our world. Michael too.
- Hard working. Both my parents are hard workers and they taught there children to work as well.
There are also some legacies which are not as positive which we continue to carry on, but like I said we are focusing on the good, right? I hope I will remember the importance of the work which those who went before, and be mindful of the legacy I am leaving my children.
12 comments:
Maybe you should write a book. I miss you lots. Keep up the blogging. You are lucky no one blogged when I was away.
Great Blog. We are our parents and our Grandparents. I Keep up the blogging because it is good to hear from you. I've been trying to do more so you won't be so homesick. I love you.
I do love to read. I am not so into gardening. We have 23 tomato plants and 3 squash plants, and 2 cucumbers. I dont know if they will produce or not. Anna is a doll and I miss the kids. I also miss you Dad
I love to read, garden and actually don't like the news it is to troubling. I think I get enough of what the world is like in my job. I miss you, Jeremy, Andrew, Lexie and Anna. I can't wait for July. Love, MOM
Nice post Kimma. I always felt like you guys had good grandparents just like I did. I like your perspective. You are blessed and so are your kiddos!
Nicely put, Berla. I remember running with you after your Grandma had died and talking about how great she was. Miss you. I hope Anna's bump is "innocuous!" ;)
Hey! You are a great writer! I need to come to your blog more often! Hope you guys are doing well and everything is ok with Anna!
Great post, you really should write a book. You have such a natural way with words.
Ready for a new one!
Love this post Kima....what a wonderful tribute to your rich heritage. Love Ya.
New blog please. You should write one daily.
I am bored with this blog.
Post a Comment