Several months ago I subscribed to a quarterly magazine called
"Seeing the Everyday". I think it is a worthwhile production and this is my plug for it. They write about the everyday moments of life which are real, the ones which make life worthwhile. I have found it to be very uplifting. Here is an excerpt from it on marriage. Click on my title to link to there website.
Religious leaders, philosophers, and marriage researchers . . . each emphasize the importance of the prosaic but moral moments in our everyday lives. The philosophy of “prosaics,” created by contemporary literary critic Gary Saul Morson, “. . . Questions whether the most important events may not be the most ordinary and everyday ones. Cloaked in their very ordinariness, the prosaic events that truly shape our lives—escape our notice.” In other words, the big milestones of life, important as graduations and job promotions are, may cause us to overlook what Morson calls “the infinitely numerous and apparently inconsequential ordinary ones, which taken together, are far more effective and significant.”
The prosaic marriage is one that fits our real, day-to-day lives. It’s not one that lives in a fantasy world where we must always be enchanted newlyweds rather than old friends; where Eden-like homes never need to be cleaned. The prosaic marriage is centered in the home and its normal, everyday routines. Hollywood may not find it alluring. But . . . marriages are filled with ordinary moments of grocery shopping, breakfast conversations, and bear hugs that sustain husbands and wives through the heavy burdens of child rearing, earning a living, illness, and life itself. Ironically, it is in the prosaic moment that marriage finds its ultimate meaning and thus becomes the “big deal” universally yearned for.
http://www.seeingtheeveryday.com/
I thought this was very true and something important to remember about marriage. So go give your hubby a bear hug or wife. Hope you enjoy it and get yourself a subscription to this great magazine.
Monday, January 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
If/When I get married this will be my first subscription. It sounds good.
I love being ordinary. Everyone yearns for something to be extraordinary but I think that is the irony. Being ordinary can be extraordinary. Great quote. I'll have to check that magazine out!
Jen the magazine isn't about marriage. This just happens to be an upcoming article in it. IT is just about life in general fitting and perfect for all. Look into it.
Sounds cool! You are so great!
It is a good magazine. Thanks for the great thoughts.
Now if I could just remember that when I'm feeling so boring!
Sounds like a good magazine...I will have to check it out! It was so good to talk to you yesterday. Your kids have gotten so big and are so stinkin cute!
See you Thursday!
Kim- here is a new blog my cousin and I started...www.oneshetwoshe.blogspot.com check it out and let me know what you think...also if you wouldnt mind could you let your friends and sisters know about it?? tanks!
Kim..thanks for letting me know where the pictures were taken. Would you be interested in taking some pictures of James in the Spring? I'd rather pay you than Target!
Good one - Thanks1
Love it.
I was just drifting around the blog world and made a visit! I have loved how great your photos are Kim! Did you take that one of the barn? It is awesome!
Lovin' the thoughts too. Thanks for sharing! Ordinary IS beautiful.
Post a Comment