Thursday, March 6, 2008

Smells That Transport...

I’m sure you are reading this title saying to yourself, “Huh?” But, I’m sure you know what I mean, let me explain. The other day I was in Wal-mart and I smelled this particular brand of baby lotion I used with Andrew and I was pregnant with Lexie. I was instantly feeling a bit nauseous and queasy, as if I was pregnant again, which let me assure you I am not. So, smells do transport.
Lately as I have been longing for warmer weather and it certain to reach us before I know it, I’ve been thinking of smells of spring and summer and can hardly wait. I think of the smell of rain, swimming pools, sunscreen, summer barbeques, vine ripened tomatoes. Doesn’t just thinking about these things remind you of particular memories and experiences in life? Like the smell of Tommy Hilfiger Cologne reminds me of my boyfriend my sophomore year in college
I remember one day when I was maybe eleven or twelve, it was a summer rain. It was a downpour for a few short minutes; which is rare for Utah summers. My best friend growing up, Natalie, and I decided we wanted to wash our hair in the rain. So we did. We really weren’t able to get a good rinse but it is a fond memory I have, and the smell of summer rain takes me right to it.
Close your eyes with me for a minute and think of the smell of fresh cut grass; can’t you just feel a warm breeze on your face, the sound of kids playing outside, lawnmowers going. I can feel my hands digging in the warm earth, and just feeling at peace with life. All this comes just from thinking of the smell of fresh cut grass; and so I stand by my title, smells do transport. I am thinking of smells of summer, and willing the warmer weather to arrive soon!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Kim..you are a great writer! I like the new colors on the blog. Thanks for reminding me of that great rain story. Its one of my faves!

Nicole said...

Hi Kimma,

You two are goof balls. I can just hear the two of you out trying to get a good rinse and natalie's funny laugh. Good topic.

Nicole

Jer + Lu said...

What a great post. So true, so true. I'm only picking up on L&D smells right now, but the others sound delightful :)