"Oh Boy, I got joy. I do. Do you? It's next to
my heart, it's next to my head in a minute or two.
Ooh boy I got joy."
I'm telling you it is the cutest thing in the world. His little eyes, well actually, his big eyes get very animated; they twinkle and sparkle even more than usual. Sometimes when he sings he repeats the next to my heart and head part 3 or 4 times; or you may get only one verse of it. But, anyway this little song of his has gotten me thinking about Joy.
What brings me Joy? What is it that, at times, it seems so elusive? Sometimes I feel joy readily and then there are other times I think: when I have this or get to this stage, or if only... The list of why we are unable to feel joy NOW can go on and on. As I have been contemplating this topic, reading and studying, I've come to a few conclusions.
First we are meant to feel joy now and the only way to do this is to live in the present. The past is past an there is nothing we can do about it; the future isn't here yet so what is the point in obsessing over it. And so, the only way to feel joy is to do it NOW. So I have really been trying to live in the moment, be present or whatever you want to call it. Whether I'm at work and would rather be home, stuck in a traffic jam, or cleaning the toilet, I'm really trying to enjoy the moment I'm in and recognize I have a choice in the matter of weather I am enjoying what I'm doing. Life is so much better when you accept the present for what it is and then proceed to be happy about what you are doing. Abraham Lincoln was right when he said,"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
So for today the things which bring me joy:
- Andrew saying, "Lex, you look like a princess."
- Having the elven year old girls in my ward tell me they voted amongst themselves on the cutest baby in the ward and Anna is it. Of course I agree but it is an unofficial title as no formal vote was held.
- Jeremy is finally back to work after a nearly 5 month hiatus. We are so glad his hand has improved and he is able to return to work. It has been a challenge, but I feel I've learned some valuable things.
- I am finally done with three consecutive "lump sum contracts" for those of you who are work you friends, you know what this means and I'm so glad to be able to have some time back for myself and see my babies a little more frequently.
- And finally taking bath with a good book.
These are just a few things I thought of off the top of my head. Nothing to exciting but I'm finding more and more happiness comes in the little things, hey, Laura like the good laugh at work about the Elmo underwear, love ya and love working with you. Anyhow I'm going to keep on working on living in the moment and if I ever find my video camera which somehow got lost over a year ago when we moved, I'll put Andrew on singing his darling song which has inspired all the thinking about JOY! happy blogging
5 comments:
Kimmathankyou for writing that. It is the best way to live. Andrew is darling when he sings ooh boy I've got joy. Little kids always have joy no matter what. We can learn a lot from them. Also I always enjoy a good bath with a good book. I love you and your family!
Kim,
I am so proud of how hard you have worked over the past several months. You have had a great attitude. I am also thankful that Jeremy's hand is improving. Your children are darling. They definately teach us a lot. I love you.
Kim..I am nearly crying here. You are one special little chica. Wow.
What a great post! And did you know that is the original Joy School theme song? You might as well become a Joy School mom. The Elmo underwear is unforgettable-- and still a little questionable why Nathan had that pulled up on his computer... I'll miss seeing you so much without lump summin, but feel JOY for you being done! That was crazy long!
You are amazing Kim! I feel a little inspired by reading that. It is so true, but who takes the time to think it all out? You, and thanks for that. Cute Easter photos too!
Post a Comment