Today was a slow day at work. As I leafed through one of those women's magazines, Good Housekeeping or something like that, I came upon a happiness article. It was by, Gretchen Rubin, a women who spent a year of her life figuring out how to find more happiness now. She actually wrote a book on this called, "The Happiness Project." She had a focus and a goal each month. She sited the French Poet, Peirre Reverdy (1889-1960), who said, "there is no love, only proofs of love." As Gretchen contemplated the idea of proofs of love, she came to the conclusion that there was a direct correlation between her happiness levels and the proofs of love she showed to the loved ones in her life.
I have since spent a little time thinking on this and decided Pierre had the right idea. We know someone loves us by the choices they make and the things they do, say, or notice about us, that make us feel loved. My little neighbor Meghan, well shes not little anymore, but I know she loves me by the things she tells me, one of which is, I'm so pretty, and the hugs she gives me. I get my daily dose of self esteem each afternoon as I pick up Andrew and Meghan greets me with some kind word. I know Shauna loves me simply by all she does for me. I would walk through fire for them. There aren't many people I would do that for. As I thought of the proofs of love in my life, there are many. I've been blessed with so many who love me. My dad is cute and always calling into check in on me. Sometimes I'm defensive about this, thinking he doesn't think I'm capable or something; when in reality it's only one of his many proofs of love for me. Sometimes when you are on the younger end of the family you get told what to do a lot, and I have become a bit hypersensitive to said, suggestions. I need to recognize it for what it is, My daddy looking out for his little girl. I love you Dad. My sisters are frequently doing for me and checking on me. Jess is great, she is a bit of a shopaholic and is it great for me, cause I get a new wardrobe when she cleans out her closet. Another proof of love I like, is when people notice things about you. The other day, Matt said, "I like the look in your eyes." He recognized the look, he new what it meant and he loved me for it.
As I've thought of the obvious "proofs of love" in my life I've spent a little time thinking on the importance of showing all these people in my life, my proofs of love, for them. I read and article on KSL.com about a ninth grade girl from Farifield Junior high who lost her battle with bone cancer last night. Her name was Maddey. As I read the article the importance of showing my love for those I care about seemed to continue to surface in my mind as the most important thing I can do each day, and as a bonus, it's gonna make me happier. SWEET! We really never know when our chance to show our love may be gone. It is oh so important to show our love now.
Here are a few things I've come up with to show my love to those I hold dear: when I have the thought to call so and so, actually calling just to see how they are. Sending notes or cards in the mail or even just a text saying thinking of you and I love you. Putting the needs of your significant other ahead of your own. I have especially been thinking of how I need to show my proofs of love for my children. I have felt I've been too sharp with them lately, and I want so much for them to remember their childhood as fun and happy and remembering me playing, and reading with them the the likes. Usually, this is something I feel I'm good at but lately, I've needed a reminder to be a little gentler with them, pay better attention to them, and the likes. More specfically, take Andrew shooting. His crazy Grandpa got hime a BB gun for Christmas. Lexie, maybe doing our nails together or just reading some Junie B with just me and her. Annie, reading or just holding her for a few minutes each day singing and letting her know she has my undivided attention. Those are my goals for this week with my kiddos.
So I'm gonna check out this "Happiness Project" book, look for ways to show my proofs of love daily, and focus on more happiness this year. Maybe you'll wanna do the same?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I love you Kimma!
Love your post kim! You are a great writer! I started that book last week and I really like it! It is amazing what a difference it makes when you put a smile on your face ( even if it is fake) :) and show kindness! Love you! And I am happy for you!
great post, kimma! I love you and hope you know it!
I love this post! I often have the same thoughts with my own kids and try harder to focus on them! I know when I do, we're all ALOT happier! What lucky kids you have!
Post a Comment