Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mary

I wanted to write this blog at Christmas time and didn't get around to it. I decided I go ahead and write it now.


I saw this video on my friend Heathers blog. I loved it. On Christmas Eve we also watched a couple of the nativity videos. One was of a bunch of children in Australia acting out different parts of the nativity. The other was the more traditional enactment of the Nativity of Mary and Joesph and their experience on the way to and in Bethlehem.
Having been a labor and delivery nurse it gives me a certain perspective on having my or any ones baby for that matter in a stable with the cows, horses, sheep and the like. As I watched the video I thought of how Mary would have reacted when Joesph repeatedly came back with the news that yet again, no room here either. I wondered how Joseph must of felt. The kicker for me, came when I thought of how I would have reacted given similar circumstances. Maybe I would have been mad at my husband for not planning ahead better, and making arrangements for us. I wonder if I would have been angry and curt at his obvious lack of concern for me and the condition I was in? I hope not, but I can see myself maybe responding in such a way.
Thinking on this made me consider the kind of people Mary and Joseph are; I'm sure they were patient, kind and considerate with one another. I'm grateful for these little reminders and for my Savior who descended below all things, even in birth. I am also grateful for the woman Mary, being able and prepared to be the Mother of God, what a humbling experience that must have been. One of my favorite parts of the Nativity story in, Luke 2: 19 "But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart." I would love to meet her one day. I'm excited to be studying the New Testament this year and so grateful for the many reminders of how I want to conduct my life.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing. I've not thought of this miraculous event from such a perspective.