It is funny the little teaching moments that will come to you throughout the normal doings of day to day life. Today the weather is good. We picked Andrew up from school and the kids went straight outside to play, as I prepared lunch and chatted on the phone with my sister. I love days like this; moments where in this instant life is perfect, and you are doing exactly what it is you want. For me this was one of those moments, and I was being a mom. As the afternoon unfolded it proved to be a magical one, where I got a moment to myself as the kids explored the wonders of the outdoors. As I fixed lunch, Lexie came walking up the deck stairs carrying, to my dismay, a dead bird. We first had a teaching moment about not touching dead animals with bare hands, germs and the likes, and then later as the fascination with the bird continued one about the resurrection. We ate our lunch outside and the bird talk continued. Lexie said it would be dead forever, and I told her one day when Jesus came again it would be resurrected. They then asked about Grandma Truman, my grandmother. Would she be resurrected? What about Grandpa, and so forth. Later my Dad came out to see what they were doing. They were covering the bird with dried leaves to protect it. Grandpa told them to put the bird in the garbage can, it was dead and Lexie replied with simple faith, and utter belief in her words, "the bird would be resurrected." I think she thought maybe tomorrow this would happen, I don't know. Is this what it means to become as little children? My guess is yes. They don't spend time analyzing everything. They take it on faith and know things to be true. They are happy in the moment, burying a bird and would do it all afternoon. I am so grateful for these children in my life. They are so lucky to have each other, and I'm so lucky to have them. Even though life is not perfect, things more often than not do not go as planned, life is good and full of many blessings. The trick is recognizing them, appreciating them, and letting the rest of the crap go. So that will be my goal and don't you think they are darling?
P.S Ward's don't worry we covered the topic of germs and made sure everyone washed there hands very well.
8 comments:
I love you, Andrew, Lexie, and Anna. -Love, Dad
I'm so impressed with how you effortlessly turned something I would have been FREAKING out about (dead bird germs) and turned it into a wonderful teaching moment for your kids.
And yes, they are adorable.
Yes they are darling, and you are a great momma. Thanks for sharing.
I wish that faith came that easily to me. What a wonderful lesson, you are an amazing Mom.
We should all be like little children. They are very fun and I love them.
Very sweet! Your kids are just darling Kim, and I think you are a wonderful Mom!!
They are adorable. You are very right about recognizing the blessings and letting the rest go.
I always think that I'm going to be better at seeing the blessings, letting the rest go. Somehow I lose sight of that quite often! I have to remind myself a lot of that!
Post a Comment