Friday, March 26, 2010

Finding Solace




I like to walk or run at the cemetery, depending on the number of kids I have with me. I remember someone once saying to me this was a little weird. I'm not alone in my love for getting my exercise here. There is often many a jogger or walker. I have loved going to the cemetery for as long as I can remember. I use to ride my bike there while my mother jogged. My childhood friend, Natalie, and I would go running here. She was a good sport, as it wasn't her favorite place to run. When I was pregnant with Anna, me, Lex and Andrew would walk here. I kept hoping it would put me into labor.
For some reason I find solace and comfort at this place. I notice headstones, flowers, windmills, inscriptions and the likes. I'm always drawn to the ones of babies; even as a kid. I think about life, am reminded that it can be fleeting; as I contemplate my day, and my life I find peace. The added bonus, I am outdoors getting my exercise. Maybe the love comes from the tradition of walks here after Sunday dinners. I don't know but I love it.



Lexie and Anna with the stone puppy. We always give him a bone(a pretend one).

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments:

Jen said...

Kaysville has such a beautiful cemetery, I love to walk there as well.

Natty said...

I love cemetery walks too. The reason I hated running there because it was sooo repetitious and made the run seem longer. I've tried to get Chris to go running there while Drake and I walk. Call me the next time you go and we'll join you!

Heather said...

I'm with you Kim! I guess that's what you get for growing up near one!

Jessica O. said...

Wade used to think it was weird but I bet he doesn't remember ever saying that. He goes so often now. We also have three reasons to make a stop.

Heather said...

I also find solace in the cemetery. I find myself at the Centerville cemetery every once in a while too. It is a sacred place, and it gets more sacred the longer I live and more of my friends and acquaintances end up there.