So a few months back I got an i-phone. My old phone SUCKED. Sorry for the language, as I don't particularly care for the word but none other will do. It dropped calls. Not just a few, almost all calls especially if they were longer than 90 seconds. I am a phone person. I am chatty, I get it from my mother who is "chatty" Kathy. Both my sisters are chatty. A 90 second phone conversation is just not going to cut it for the chatty. Anyhow, I am a fan. I love the phone I feel Apple makes a superior product than most and I am a fan for life. It has been very user friendly for the non techy to use, it has honestly made aspects of my life better and more organized. I love the convenience it provides, the ability to tell the name and artist of a song I like, give directions when lost, and help me immediately connect to loved ones in my life. But...On another note all this technology begs the question are we too connected? In a world which is now truly flat because of technology has all the "connectedness" caused a disconnect with people? Are people consumed with cell phones, blue tooth, texting, internet surfing and the likes? Does it detract from relationships, and common courtesy? Have you ever been confused by someone talking on their blue tooth and thought they were talking to you? Or have you ever observed someone pay for an item at a convenience store all the while talking or texting on their cell phone? I have actually witnessed and OB answer his blue tooth as he was delivering a baby. I don't mean a few minutes before the arrival I mean at the exact moment leading up to birth and the conversation was going on at the announced time of birth. If this isn't a lack of courtesy not to mention professionalism I don't know what is. NO one is that important. I'm just sending the thought out there, is our world now suffering from a "disconnect" partly caused by our ability to connect?
7 comments:
I too love the I-Phone. It is a fabulous product and convenience is undeniable but I agree it does cause a disconnect. I love hearing a person's voice and being able to identify the mood but it sure is great when your family moves away and I feel like I can still talk in some form everyday even though we are busy. I love you and miss seeing your cute face. Kiss the kiddos for me.
I agree - there is too much technology at our fingertips ... it is good, but challenging to learn how to use all the technology as it continues to be so readily available.
I think it has caused a great disconnect. Look at blogs, facebook, etc. We feel like we are connected because we keep in touch online!? What is that! Technology has definitely made it that way!
I do agree with your comments as well, but I'm actually mostly just feeling relieved that you have your own direction finder now. :) We need to get together.
I couldn't agree more. It is so rude to ignore others because of a cell phone conversation.
I love all of the networking sites, but I think a lot of it takes away from family. I'm not just talking my own family. I'm talking extended family too. It used to be that family was all everyone really had, besides a few close friends, and of course your neighborhood ward. Those close friends were true friends, because they actually kept in touch. Now it is difficult to actually keep up with all that is going on. Where do you draw the line?
Interesting post. I sometimes can not be reach by cell phone and sometimes I don't want to be reached.
Sweet phone. Technology is both good + bad. It's cool how connected we can be, but there's definitely a time + place...
Post a Comment