Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Swedish Pancakes

So here are some delicious Swedish Pancakes. These have become a tradition in my family. It is fun to see this happening in my own little family as I can think of food traditions in the family I grew up in as well as in by best friend, Natalie's family. I'm sure it is not exclusive to our families alone. I remember after fast Sundays as a kid coming home and having crackers with cream cheese on top, and nachos. Natty's fam had Lasagna on fast Sundays ( right?)Hawaiian chicken was always a big hit for Sunday dinner, and Abby's rice, both delicious, and something both my sisters and I make for our families now. I guess it is important what food traditions we create in our families because if you don't think the next generation is going to carry them on, you're wrong. Soda drinking, is one from my family. It is not the healthiest tradition but we all ( all 5 kids) picked it up. It makes us happy and is a little pick me up for the day. We could have picked a worse vice. I did hold out on becoming a regular drinker until 25 and I'm quiting this year just haven't yet, don't doubt me though. Enough babble here is the recipe, it is from my mother-in-law, Linda and we love it:
3 eggs beat till thick
1 1/4 Cups milk
3/4 Cup flour ( you may need to add a little extra)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat all ingredients together, pour on electric skillet or crepe ban or big frying pan or whatever you have and cook them up. I like to cover with berries and a sprinkle of powdered sugar, Lexie likes peanut butter, Andrew jam, and Jeremy butter and about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. How is he so skinny?

7 comments:

Heather said...

Jeremy is just like my brother, eats whatever he wants and never adds one lb. These look tasty. Ask Wardy to make you German pancakes sometime.
And yes, it was lasagne on Fast Sundays, hot dog pizza on Saturdays and hot dogs on Mondays.

Jessica O. said...

I love starting new traditions with food. We have several, just look at our Lake Powell menu. It is rather maddening that Jeremy and you stay as skinny as you do but I still remind myself you both MOVE a lot and you overeat on fruits and veggies. I don't think of the sheer volume of ice-cream you both consume but we each have our struggles!

Jen said...

Those sound delicious. Does my lame nightly bowl of cereal for dinner count as a food tradition?

Jerry said...

Kim they were good. I still like soda pop. I guess I didnt do you any favors always having it around. Its still fun to here a big ahh. I love and miss you. Dad

Maranda said...

Oh YUM! Thanks for that recipe I've never made Swedish pancakes, They look like crepes.

I always make breakfast for dinner so the more breakfast recipes I get a hold of, the more variety for the fam if you know what I mean.

Heather said...

I LOVE swedish pancakes! We love ours with strawberries and a little whipped cream!

Linda said...

Yep - swedish pancakes are yummy and actually I have not made them for a long time. The picture looks like an "enticing" ad from a magazine!
The crazy thing is I can't really remember how that tradition came to be - but they were always a family favorite!