Today my visiting teachers stopped by. We were talking about swimming and I said how much I love it: being in the water, flip flops and a bathing suit, really what is better? One of the sisters said to me, "Well , you probably look pretty good in a swim suit some of us are a little more image conscious." While I appreciate the compliment I think it is important we all embrace the bodies we have. Here she is thinking I'm confident in swim suit, not really the case. I'm self conscious about my pasty white skin, which still at 30 has pimples on my chest and back. Not horrid but not the skin you hope to have at 30. I'm overtly aware of my flat chest as swim suits don't stay put if you don't having anything to fill them with. I wish my body was more toned and chiseled. I guess my point is we are all self conscious in one way or another about our bodies. I don't mind hanging out in a suit at he pool because of the shear love I have for the water.
Someone I use to work with said we need to be thankful for what our bodies have done for us. If you have been lucky enough to carry a pregnancy and deliver a healthy baby, rejoice in your bodies ability to have done this. So many women would give all for that. If you can complete a 5, 10K, half or full marathon give thanks for that. If you witnessed a beautiful sunset this week, be grateful. If the annoying birds woke you today, sing praise. Our bodies are amazing and we all need to love the skin we're in. "God forgive me when I whine I have to eyes the world is mine." Google the poem I know you'll love it, in fact memorize it, my mom did and I think I will too. Love your body Larry. (Anyone know the movie?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Amen! We all have our issues. I believe the movie you are quoting is Fletch. Am I right?
Fletch baby! Thanks for the blog. Heidi said that about being thankful for our bodies didn't she? i think about that a lot when i don't "appreciate" my body, and it's good to get a "skinny" girls point of view of her body! thank you!
Thanks Kimma. I'm the girl who doesn't go to the pool because of the attire. I'll try to work on it.
So true, Kimma. My sis-in-law who is super skinny won't get in the pool because she is embarrassed of her body. She said she admires her overweight neighbor who gets in the pool and doesn't care. I think its important especially when you have kiddos, especially daughters, to love your body and not let it inhibit you. You miss out on so much if you do, and honestly, no one really cares but you!!!! Traveling to a beach has taught me this. There are all types of bodies flaunting what they've got and they could care less what they look like! Well said post. You are a dream. FYI You look FANTASTIC in a swimsuit!!!
I really don't know of too many people that are satisfied with the "skin they are in" (especially women). So ... this is when I am glad we have a pool in our backyard to go cool off in (since it is nearly 100 degrees today). It would be great to have the kids enjoy our pool once again this summer - but thankfully you have access to the neighborhood pool!!
We all have issues. You and I have the same swimsuit issues and three kids doesn't help! But aren't they worth it?! I am working on the chiseled look. You do look good in a suit! Great blog!
i wish i could be comfortable with mine. I used to be comfortable until I hit 30 and have a nut for a husband! I am starting to like it more, but not comfortable but i am thankful for what my body can do!
Well said!
You continually inspired me :)
As for the bandana quilt, I bought half mine at JoAnn's (I cleaned out all they had!) and the other half at Wal-Mart-- which was half the price! Some were "mens," some "womens." (who knows why bandanas need to be gender specific?!) But like I said, they were all slightly different sizes, so just make sure you pre-shrink then cut them all to exact size. I used a queen sheet for the back, but my friend recommended a vinyl table cloth so it's waterproof. Give it a try :)
Funny, random and true. I miss you. Kiss the kids.
Kim, I have gotten behind on your blogs. I love to here what you have to say and what you are thinking about. It makes me feel like you are close. Love, MOM
Post a Comment