Sunday, May 31, 2009

Charlotte's Web

We finished Superfudge and have moved on to Charlotte's Web. We are sticking with it and I have really seen great improvements in there ability to sit and listen. I also find that I am enjoying reading to the kids more with chapter books. Even when I think they are not listening they will make a comment about it and I realize they are getting more than I realize. I had to be careful with Superfudge, because it would say stupid or shut up and every time I didn't gloss over the word the kids would say, "We don't say that." Too bad they don't remember we don't say that in the heat of the moment. I don't remember in the heat of the moment either. Guess I need to practice my self discipline. One of my good friends, Shauna reads from a chapter book every night with her six kids, and one of her boys told her it was the best part of his day. I hope my kids will take to this like that. Thanks, Shauna and Jess for the inspiration, I hope we will reap the benefits of reading.
P.S. Another benefit of reading: if you're lonely, which I have been a little bit, if you have a good book, no worries you can get lost in it.


5 comments:

Jessica O. said...

I love reading the chapter books as well. I remember Mom reading them to us. Books are great and they do keep you from getting lonely. Read some of the Treehouse books to your kids they would really like them and they are much shorter. Keep it up.

Heather said...

Cooper loves chapter books! I don't know if Landon quite understands, but he is always talking about "chapter books". It's fun to read together with your kids. I hope my kids grow up to like reading as well!

Jerry said...

Kids are so responsive to all the good that you teach but as the mother you will often feel like the Lead Oxen and it seems that you get in the harneses each day and just pull the family along. It is a lot of work but definately worth it. Love MOM

Nicole said...

I love the book Charlotte's Web. I miss you.

Maranda said...

I'll have to start. Kim you are such a good little mommy. Thanks for your great example:)