Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Remember

I hope Nicole does not mind be sharing, but yesterday and today is the anniversary of the birth and death of Katie and Ellie. Ironically, last week at work I took care of a young mother, expecting twin baby girls, and they had passed away due to a placental abruption, related to the mom getting severe preeclampsia. They were a few days shy of 22 weeks gestation, the same age of Nicole and Davids girls. Taking care of women who have lost there babies always gives me perspective and it always seems to come at a time when I need to be reminded of my blessings. For some reason because I watched my sister experience this, I feel better equipped to care for these families. It is never fun and always a bit emotionally draining but there is also something very spiritual about it. We often think of the amazing experience of seeing life come into this world, but it can be equally amazing and spiritual seeing people leave this world. I usually end up crying on the way home from shifts like this.
I know Nic thinks of these girls daily. It is always hard to know what to say in difficult situations as no words can make it better. Nicole and David were amazing through it all and are always great examples to me. I love you both and your family. Thanks for being a great big sister and brother. Won't it be great when we get to see those girls again, then we won't be so outnumbered by little boys.

6 comments:

Heather said...

You know, I was just driving past the cemetery the other day thinking of that day and those sweet little angels. Thanks for the reminder.

Nicole said...

Thank you for remembering Kimmie.
Love you.

Anonymous said...

I think people like you make the best nurses! I'm sure you being able to relate a little to what they are going through helps so much!

Natty said...

What a sweet post, Kimma. I read it to Chris and couldn't get through it without crying. Its a new trait of mine- bawl baby. Thanks for the reminder and the great insights as well. Its comforting to think of life after this when you have loved ones there waiting for you.

Jessica O. said...

Very sweet post. We are lucky to have such a good family. I just get to have more little girls to help look after. Nicole and David are both good people and we are better for their experiences.

Turpin Times said...

I have been thinking about them lately, and always think of them on the 15th and 16th of December. I'm sure it's not an easy time for Nic or your family.