Today I'm going to write of few recent happening and just a smorgasbord of random thoughts which have been shooting through my mind far to rapidly. As I drive to work, I have a 45 min drive one way if there is no traffic, I seem to have all sorts of ideas and thoughts I want recorded. Later when I go to record them the things which sounded so profound in my head come off a little less than profound. I seem to find some clarity on my commute, which I miss the rest of the day. This clarity exists only on my way to work, afterward I'm too excited to be home already.
- Recently before I start a shift at work, I have started praying for clarity of mind and safety as I care for my patients. This is probably something I should have been doing all along but just really didn't occur to me. I decided to do this because it has been so busy I don't want to miss anything. A mistake I may make has the possibility to be crucial to outcomes for moms and babies (I'm a labor and delivery nurse). Today I realized I should put more effort into praying for guidance and direction when I start the day with my children, as it is certainly the most important work I do. I wake up and we start the routine, meals, get dressed, entertain, clean, eat, naps, head to work. I need less of going through the motions and more of living in the moment.
- What is up with bikers who think they are cars. This is seriously a pet peeve of mine. Get out of the way. The car is bigger and can actually drive the speed limit, so quit holding us up and get out of the way. My husband is a biker. He assures me he does not do this. I hope so.
- We should never deprive someone of their hope. It may be all they have; and at some point or in some aspect of our own lives we may experience the need to cling to a hope.
- I read an article today on statistics and research about how having children does not make you happier. In fact it may make you less happy. To this I say BS, and I'll pass on your research, waste of time. Really can you gage happiness by a questionnaire, or lab. Really who is your control group? I'm not saying you have to have children to be happy, I just don't think having them makes you less happy. My children are my greatest joy. Really we are as happy as we chose to be, regardless of circumstance. Some days I'm super happy and some days I struggle.
- I'm on a quest for my personal best. I turned twenty-nine in April and for some reason before I turn thirty and want to look and feel my best. I'm also on a quest for balance in my life and organization; any tips you may have I am open to.
- I got to thinking about my Dad's hands today. He has strong weathered hands. They are the hands of a man. I can picture them in my mind right now. They are a REAL man's hands. He has worked the construction industry for all of my life and he knows how to work hard. Those same hands cradle a baby and I'm telling you I've never seen a baby who doesn't like my dad. I think this is a good judge of character. If a babies and animals like you and are comfortable with you it speaks volumes about you as a person. Thinking about his hands led me to my mothers. My mother has beautiful hands. She would not say so, but it is the countless hours of work and service she has performed with these hands which make them beautiful. She is an accomplished seamstress, fast typer, good cook, and truly a whirlwind of accomplishment, all which is done by her hands. Then I thought of my Grandpa's hands. I love looking at elderly hands. There is something so beautiful about them. They know how to work, and keep on keeping on. My Grandpa's hands are enormous, especially considering he is not an especially big man. I always tell him he should have played the piano and he laughs and says, "My aunt always said this to me." Lastly I thought of the hands of a chubby baby, my children and my nephew came to mind. I think of Andrew and Lexie holding hands together, they are best friends and I love to see them when the are playing nice and holding hands. I also love the contrasting color when they hold hands. I thought of Daniels plump little fingers and how when kids are learning to use there hands how they manipulate things and it is so awkward at first. Our hands take us so many places and I'm grateful for my hands
I will close now. Lots of rambling and randomness, this is how my mind is.
8 comments:
I have to agree with your biker comment. Even more so, I hate when they ride on the sidewalk. I was almost run over by a biker on the sidewalk and he looked at me like I was the problem. Hello? You are not allowed on the sideWALK.
Kim this was such an awesome post. I have to say I totoally get inspiration reading your posts. You are such an awesome person and I hope I can be as good of a mom and as spiritual as you. I love being around you Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you should take a writing class and try to free lance. I love the part about happiness. I remember a professor at B.Y.U. told us this about teaching and attitude. It really struck me and I try to remember I make myself happy no matter the circumstance. Also lets take pictures of hands this weekend. I also love hands. Look at your patients hands you may be able to tell their level of pain and discomfort.
Kim, you are truely a talented writer! I enjoy reading your posts- like a short story or a fun little ditty to make one reflect on their own state of mind. I love hands! I love my husbands strong hands!
you are such a wonderful writer! I agree with you about happiness! I have always thought how sad it was that some people never have children because of the joy they bring to your life! Talking about children my do not always obey! but when they do It makes me so happy! and I try to let them know and make a big deal of it! you are a great mom and your kids love you so much! I love your example of prayer each morning on guidance I need to be better at my morning prayer! love you guys
Kim..Love you.
I have a picture of hands I want to show you. Remind me. I think you'll like it.
I will help you with the float..do you really think we can do it?
Randomness runs in the family. Very good post. I saw that study about the children and happiness. What brilliant individual thinks these things up. It is such a subjective thing all of their findings are completely irrelevant. Sure am glad my name isn't on that study.
Kim, I like the way your mind works. :-)
Going through the motions, rather than living in the moment, is an easy trap to fall into. I sometimes get stuck dwelling on the past even though what's done is done and no amount of dwelling will change it. (I inherited dwelling genes from my mother.) Or looking too far into the future ("I can't wait until..."). There is a lot of joy to be had just in each day, if we slow down enough to look for it. I know this intellectually but sometimes it is hard to do.
As far as the study on happiness goes, I too would wonder who they found to be the control group. Their conclusions certainly don't correspond to my own personal experience or those of anyone I know. I imagine there are plenty of people in the world self-centered and selfish enough, stuck chasing an illusion of happiness while eating, drinking, and making merry who would find a child to be an intrusion on their life and reduce their "happiness." Except that in my mind their happiness isn't really all that real or happy...
Your brief thought regarding hope is extremely profound. I'm going to have to think more on this.
(BTW, thank Jeremy for mentioning your blog in his lesson today. :-)
Post a Comment