Thursday, July 10, 2008

Andrew's 4th

Andrew on the 4th of July


Blowing out candles

Playing with his new Mac

The pink cake

We celebrated Andrew's 4th birthday this week. I can hardly believe how fast the time has flown. All Andrew wanted for his birthday was a pink cake and a squirt gun. We spent his actual birthday on the 9th with our little family. I had a nice day with the kids, we swam at Cherry Hill with Aunt Nicole and our cousins. We went to dinner as a family and as we left a neighboring table stopped us and told us how well behaved our children were. This is not a compliment I receive often and it really made my night. Andrew wanted to go to the park, and play and we finished the evening with cake and presents. Really kids don't need much to be happy. I need to remember this when I Christmas shop.

Today we had our family over to celebrate his birthday. It was fun to have everyone over, not something we do to often. It is nice to practice hosting a large group as it really something my mother and sister Nicole make look effortless. I enjoyed it and had fun preparing. Thanks to all the family for the gifts and more importantly for loving and supporting Andrew. He loves all of you and we feel blessed to have such wonderful family.

As I think over the past four years I'm so thankful they have included Andrew. He is a darling boy with such a sweet way about him. We've had lots of firsts. I remember the night we brought him home. It was a Friday and I was suppose to work for the IV team at LDSH. My sister Nicole was nice enough to take the shift for me. We went to a ladies home in Bountiful and waited for his arrival. He was flying in from Mississippi. There were teenagers at the house and as it was a Friday night kids kept coming in and out. Every time the door opened we would start out of our seats and look in anticipation for our little boy. His plane was scheduled to arrive around 10 pm and we went over at 9 to sign papers. When he finally arrived I was so happy. I remembering wondering if I could love a kid more than my nephew Isaac and then it happened. I can't explain the love I felt as a first time mother. It is truly more than I could imagine and something you feel with each new addition. I remembering wondering before the arrival of both Lexie and Anna if there was enough love to go around as you feel you can't imagine loving anything as much as your children, but so far with each one, the love you feel is overwhelming.

At times different people have asked me if I was worried my love for Andrew may be different than for my girls. All I can say is Andrew is mine, I love his birth mom for giving me the best present I've ever received. I hope to some day be able to express to her my gratitude. I'm so grateful for this busy boy and all the joy he brings to our lives. Happy Birthday Andrew, keep up the good work. Pictures to come.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Good thing it's early and nobody else is in the office yet 'cause I'm crying! Love you Andrew!
(and way to have well-behaved kids at a restaurant..that's an accomplishment to be proud of!)

Jerry said...

Kim what a nice tribute to your boy. We love him and are so glad he is in our family. Kids are our greatest treasure. I love you. you are awesome. Tell Andrew he is a cottonball. love Dad

Alissa said...

kim this made me cry I to know of that love it is so wonderful! I can not wait for the anticipation of waiting for our adoptive child one day we love you guys and we really love andrew he has such a sweet spirit and such a great contagious laugh Happy Birthday Andrew

Nicole said...

Andrew is a doll face. He is always very well behaved for me. I keep wondering if I am scarey or he just loves me. Happy Birthday Andrew. I love you!

Jessica O. said...

He is a treasure. I love that he wanted a pink cake. We are so happy to have him in our family. I also know that he is yours. Happy Birthday Andrew we love you!

Jen said...

Well, you did it again. You can always manage to make me cry. Andrew is so adorable and I can't believe it has already been 4 years. I remember you bring him to a shower at Heather's house. What a blessing.