Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sweet Exchanges

Riding in the car home from Jeremy's bike race tonight, we had this interaction with Lexie.

Lexie: I wake Anna up.

Jeremy: Honey, why? (reproving but gentle tone.)

Lexie: I want her to talk to me. I want her to laugh to me.

She was so cute and sweet and sincere we couldn't be mad at her for waking Anna up. Jeremy and I exchanged a pleased look.

It makes me glad Jeremy responded the way he did. If he or I had responded harshly, which in similar circumstances in the past I'm sure I have, we would have surly missed out on the sweet interaction which followed, both between our daughters as well as the moment we caught each others eye smiling. Lexie then continued to try and get Anna to laugh and Anna obliged.

I can't help but wonder how many other sweet experiences I may have missed because I responded too harshly.

I like this quote from President Hinckley, so I thought I'd share, hope it all doesn't come off too churchy.

"You parents, love your children. Cherish them. They are so precious. They are so very, very important. They are the future. You need more than your own wisdom in rearing them. You need the help of the Lord. Pray for that help and follow the inspiration which you receive."

I am so very grateful to have a husband who truly knows how to cherish his children and does so everyday. This is one of my very favorite things about Jeremy and something which he excels at, very naturally. Aren't I lucky!

6 comments:

Jessica O. said...

Jeremy is a great dad. He loves his kids and they love him. You are both lucky to have each other.

Nicole said...

Jeremy really does a great job with the kids. I don't know how many times he has asked me if I have ever seen a cuter child?(it is always in reference to one of his children.) Kids that have a father who cherish them are definately lucky.

Turpin Times said...

Thanks for sharing that, Kim. Your posts are always very thought-provoking.

Heather said...

Jeremy is fun with his kiddos. It is cool for me to watch him with them. I love the pictures. Thanks for sharing. Kim..you know what is important!

okiedokie said...

Those are such sweet photos. You really are a great writer! I love reading your blog!

Jer + Lu said...

What a cute story. Your kids are so stinkin cute!