Thursday, May 1, 2008

Flowers

Well Spring has finally arrived. I took some pictures yesterday of the flowers in my yard, the signs of springs welcomed arrival. I'm so happy for the warmer weather we've been having, but know this is springtime in Utah, so who knows what the next day may bring. I chose to write about flowers as I love all things flowery.
I like to think I have a green thumb, as my grandmother did. She grew the most beautiful peonies; she often won prizes for her peonies at the Beaver county fair. I actually think this is a legacy she left her children and grandchildren. My sisters both love being outdoors and gardening, as does my mother. I enjoy tending the garden: turning the soil over and feeling the warmth of it in my hands, watering, fertilizing, dead heading, clearing the weeds so there is room for my flowers. I don't actully love the weed pulling but once the majority of it is done I don't mind the up keep. It feels so rewarding seeing them grow. I remember my first piano teacher had the most beautiful flower garden; I remember thinking I wanted to have flowers like hers when I grew up.
Tulips are one of my very favorite flowers and I love they are the first to greet us after dreary winter. They seem to be such a happy cheerful flower. One day, I'm going to Holland, to see the fields of tulips. I remember my college my rommate, Erin, got tulips for Valentine's Day instead of roses, and I thought it was so cool; I said I would marry the first boy who gave me tulips. The next day I went on my first date with Jeremy ( my husband), he brought me tulips! I didn't think I would marry him at the time.
So I'm looking forward with anticipation to my planting and tending, and also my pots.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I love flowers too. I wish I had more time to spend in my yard making in how I want but now is just not the time for me. I will do a little but one day I want a yard FULL of beautiful flowers. Happy May to you. HOpe it gets warmer there- heard it snowed today. Yikes.. poor flowers. Hope they survived

Jessica O. said...

I love gardening too. It is so relaxing to dig, pull, and plant. It is especially fun in the spring before it is too hot. Grandma even liked pulling the weeds! I guess we still have much to learn from her.

Heather said...

I love tulips too!

Nicole said...

Grandma was perfect, just like her flower gardens. The gardening is just around the corner. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and soon I am going to be praying for sunshine.