One of my favorite family traditions growing up was always the Christmas tree. My Grandpa Truman would bring us a gynormous tree every year, somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 feet. I know being a Larsen, well it comes from the Truman side, I have a tendency to exaggerate, but this is the gospel truth. Sometimes they were tall and skinny and sometimes they were fat as well as tall. But, they were always huge. My mom hated it. I loved it. I always thought we had the most beautiful tree. Several years ago my mom caved, and bought an artificial tree. I know I was an adult at the time, but I was so disappointed. I know it is silly, I know it is just a tree, but I love tradition, and kinda shy away from change if at all possible. I've held out and every year I still get a real tree. I love the smell, and I love decorating them. I abhor doing the lights, and every year as I put them on I think about how nice it would be to just get a prelit tree, but once it is done I love it! My kids love going to pick one out, and the excitement of getting it up. They like to help, and they know once it is done, we don't touch it. I'm sure this sounds mean, but I have a pretty tree, and pretty ornaments, some of which were a little pricey. So we don't touch it, once it's done.
I guess the reason I like tradition is in some small, way it's how we keep from being forgotten when we're gone. Not that I'm particularly worried about this, but it links generations together and creates a bond. I think about the the things I want my kids to pick up on from me, a few are the things that I can trace back to my own Grandma, and am already seeing develop in my Lexie, in particular. My grandma loved to garden, so does my mom, my sisters, and myself. This is something Lexie likes to do with me, and I notice how she already is aware of flowers, fruit trees, and vegetable gardens. She notices the beauty, and the fruits of my parents labors ( we live with them, several blogs all of their own). The other day she grabbed me because she had to show me something "wonderful". It was a apricot on the tree that was growing. I hope this is something that will continue to develop in my little Lex, and makes me mindful of my grandmother. I love it when Andrew points out the sunset to me, because I can see a little of myself in him when he does this; or when Anna pretends to talk on the phone or take pictures, she is imitating me, both things I do a lot of. I find comfort in seeing that some of the good in me is coming through to my children, not just the bad. You know when you hear yourself in something your kids say and you catch yourself thinking,"ahh that is what I sound like, I need to work on that," cause it's not exactly how you'd like to be remembered. I love hearing about other families traditions, and the ones I'd like to tweak to fit my own family. The other thing that I see in Lexie, that I can trace straight back to Grandma Truman, I was combing her hair. I had the water running as I was making the part. Dipping the comb in then, combing the hair. Occasionally going back to the water. Lexie quickly turned the water off, and said we shouldn't waste water. If this isn't Grandma Truman then I don't know what is. I love tradition, it makes me happy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You do have a BEAUTIFUL tree! That's one thing I'll always remember about your house growing up and your house now...the christmas trees! Every year when I see your tree, it makes me want to throw mine out and start all over!
I had to cave. The mess and the sap on my carpet. I do miss the tree and i sometimes think I will get a little one for my front room just so I can have the smell. We came from good stock. Grandma, Mom, and well us!!!!
Kimma, you have a lot of great descendants to draw your traditions from. Your children are lucky to have such a wonderful influence in you.
I remember the huge trees taking up most of your mom's living room!
Kimberly you need to keep blogging you do a great job and keeps memories alive. Grandma T. was a great lady and was a master at getting her own way. I didn't learn what I needed to from her.
MOM
Post a Comment