Thursday, September 10, 2009

Texas Venacular

So it may be time to come home. I have noticed the more I'm around the native Texans (mostly at work), the more the venacular is slipping into my mind. The main thoughts creeping in are Fix'n to and Ya'll. I'm tellin ya, everyone here is fix'n to do something and wondering when ya'll are going to do this or that. There is also a fair amount of "sweetie", "honey" and such terms, slathered with the sweet southern belle accent. My sister Nicole told me, when she was in Kentucky, she was at work and said,"can ya'll come to Mr. Potts (made up, no Hippa violation) room for lifting help. Followed by, "and now it is time for me to move home." So after just a few short months the phrases are slipping into my mind. How much longer until I actually use them? I think it is kind of cute when the Texans do it, but I'm not ready to start myself.

9 comments:

Jen said...

Wait until your kids start saying all those phrases and pick up the accent. I have one nephew who has a pretty thick Boston Accent - it is hilarious. I miss you at book club, I think you should conference call in.

Cheri said...

My brother lives in North Carolina and you would think he was born and raised there. His accent is soooo bad. Cute post!

Michael A. Cleverly said...

"y'all" is singular, and "all y'all" is the plural form, right?

Sarah said...

ditto to the kid thing~ my kids have a bad case of jersey accent and eric and i can't stand it

Jessica O. said...

Give it time you will find a few of them slipping in but you'll never go full board. Lexie on the other hand I'm certain will be full on TEXAN!

Andrea S. said...

I love it! I think fixin' to and y'all should be in everyone's vocabulary. At least in Texas the phrases you pick up aren't bad. In California I'm afraid they all include cussing...

Nicole said...

Mr Potts was a real person and I wished death on him, he was not nice. The next day he did die. I still have a bit of guilt about that one.

Jerry said...

Kimberly, you write so well when are you going to start a book? I really think that you could write a book. Love, MOM

Jer + Lu said...

Just go for it--You'll fit right in. And we'll all think you have this cute little southern charm when you come home :)