Thursday, July 2, 2009

Do Your Homework


So Andrew broke my camera. For those of you who don't know, I have a fairly nice camera and it is my hobby. One of my passions, my loves. I had it out by the computer and he took the liberty of taking out the flash card and then bent the pins which read the card upon trying to put it back in.
It had been broken for a week or two and I really started missing it and realized the Fourth was upon us and I needed my good camera for the holiday. So I googled camera repair shops in the area. Several came up and I started calling to get quotes. The first two places quoted $195-200 for labor plus parts the whole repair would end up being around $250 bucks. Not to mention when you leave your camera somewhere for repair they keep if for 6 weeksish. So my third call was was to some guy and he said If he could just straighten the pins it would be $60 dollars if the pin board had to be replaced around $150. Sold. I asked when he could have it done. He said, today if you bring it in now. So we drove to Dallas. His shop was nothing fancy, in an industrial part of town. I couldn't believe the difference in price, he tried to straighten the pins, then said it he'd have to replace the board. The whole process took twenty minutes, plus we got to see Elm Street where JFK was shot, because we didn't want to drive home in traffic. The city was really cool and I look forward to doing some more sight seeing in the future. Moral of this long boring post. Make a few calls, it could save you some hard earned greens. The other moral of the story, never make the mistake of leaving anything of value in reach of your child, that is if your child is like mine. So now hopefully I'll get some good fourth of July pictures. I love the Fourth and will certainly miss home as it is my favorite holiday 2nd only to Christmas, well Thanksgiving is pretty good too. Enough rambling. Shop Around!

6 comments:

Natty said...

Its worth the extra time to price things out. I'm glad you got it fixed. Hopefully Andrew will have to help pay for the repair. I too love the 4th of July. I keep thinking of your little Annie at the parade last year because I knew Drake would be about that age this year. We will miss melting in the heat with you while watching the lame Kaysville parade. Lame, yes. Tradition, yes. Love it, yes! Miss you. I hope you guys find a fun new tradition for your family there. Love you.

Jessica O. said...

We will miss you but you are great at documenting and it makes us seem a little closer. I'll get blogging. Kim you're creating new memories and experiencing a new culture. Enjoy it you probably won't be there as long as you think. Your kids will be better for the experience. I love you and miss you.

Heather said...

Nice work Kimma. I've always wanted to see the infamous Dallas. Way to get out and explore. Now have yourself a good 4th of July. Make some new traditions and have some fun. I'm sure you won't be missing anything here, the parade is lame-o!

Jerry said...

I am really missing your family. Nicole was sleeping at a family dinner not long ago and she said it will keep you from missing Jeremy. I love you guys. I can't wait to come and see you and the kids. Andrew you better save to help fix the camera. Love MOM

Anonymous said...

AHHH! I would die if my camera broke! that is crazy about the price differences! I'm glad you got a good deal and got it fixed!

Nicole said...

That Andrew is trouble. It is really good that he is so cute and has those great big eyes. We are missing you. Its seems lonely with you guys gone. Living away is a great experience. Enjoy it. You will meet great people and experience a different part of the world. It took me about a year before I like KY much. Don't wait that long. You just have to decide that you like it. The parade is lame, we didn't go. I cleaned my garage instead. And I am glad. I've gone on and on. Love you!