Well yesterday was the first day of school for Davis county. While I am not in school, don't teach school, and have no children in school, I could still feel it in the air. It got me thinking about my memories from the first day of school. I don't remember any particular day but I do remember the feelings I had before starting a new year and the traditions associated with it.
I remember the butterflies in my stomach and feeling a bit sad and nostalgic that summer was coming to an end, and also excited for a new year and all the possibilities it may hold. I remember on Sunday night before the first day of school my dad would give all of the kids a blessing. This is a fond memory I have and look forward to doing this with my own kids. I also remember meeting Natalie at the green thing ( I still don't know what they are some sort of power box?) at Hill's and we would talk; we talked about what we were going to wear, boys I'm sure, what classes we had. For all of my school life Nat and I went to school together. We walked to elementary and junior high and then in High school had the pleasure of driving and riding in the muff ( the muff can be a whole other post).
The things I love about the start of school are the change and more structure in life. Even now the switching from summer too fall indicates, getting the kids to bed earlier, just a little bit more of a schedule. I love the crisp fall air which seems like it is just around the corner. Firsts are great in so many ways. They always signify new uncharted waters, excitement; your first kiss, first time away from home, first time I felt a baby move inside of me. I still remember where I was when I felt those flutters and recognized it was my baby and the thrill it gave me. But there is also a bit of sadness which accompanies them; the first time you deliver a baby, you know you will never be in this exact moment again. These first don't come that often and I remember feeling like I wanted to savor the moment (not as a kid but now as an adult.) The problem for me, is the experience is so surreal at the time. Ask me after the sealing ceremony of a friend and I can remember the advice given. Ask me what the sealer told me right after and I had no idea? I was caught up in the moment. I do remember the feeling. I guess that is the point. The feelings are what lead us to live better lives, not the words spoken, but the feelings evoked. Maybe we are supposed to get caught up in the moment. Maybe we should be caught up in more moments rather than just the ones we recognize before hand as significant? I'm rambling I know. I will never just have one baby and such opportunity for wonderful one on one again, I will never experience the excitement of a first kiss again. Well I had just wanted to write my thoughts on the first day of school and wish all you school kids good luck and have a great year! There are so many exciting firsts left for all of us. I guess that is the pleasure of life, experiencing it!
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Please write about the muff. You had a great childhood.
Post a Comment