This entry is related to some happenings of earlier in the week, but it has taken me this long to muster the courage to publicly humiliate myself; but, I thought it might save others from the same mistake (or maybe not, as most are probably not this stupid to begin with) and it is definitely one of those things I will be teased about as well as Andrew, well probably forever.
On Monday, the kids and I went to the park and played, fed the birds, and had a picnic. On the way home we stopped at my parents so I could pick up a book and my husbands bike. We were only stopping for a minute, so I pulled up put the car in park, put the Emergency brake on and ran in. I remember now, after the fact of course, having the thought I should take my keys with me. I brushed it of as I knew I would only be a second (never brush these thoughts off). Well in that minute or two, my darling Andrew got out of his car seat, climbed into the drivers seat, put the car into reverse and well, the rest is history, but I'll tell it from my perspective. I was walking back out to the car looking at my book as I saw a flash of white. My car is white. I looked up to where my car should have been parked saw it wasn't there, started running, thinking it would be at the bottom of the hill. I think it was simultaneously that I heard the crash, into my parents brick fence.
My stomach dropped, I don't remember dropping the book or Jeremy's bike and running to the car. Andrew let himself out and I sort of just stared stunned. I was feeling angry with Andrew and also wondering how I could be so stupid. My Dad was immediately out there. He was very nice about the whole thing. I was lucky the kids were okay, and the car didn't fair to badly. The fence on the other hand is a different story.
For those of you who personally know Andrew, it is obvious how pitifully stupid it was for me to leave the car on, or even the keys in the car. He has gotten the keys form the kitchen drawer before, unlocked the car in the garage(we try to remember to keep the cars locked even in the garage as Andrew has a habit of trying to play in them) and put them in the ignition. He has never actually started the car before, but I think this is because I intervened before he got that far. Let me just say he is a busy, curious boy who always keeps me on my toes. If there is one thing being a parent has done for me, is to teach humility. I'm learning the importance of no longer passing judgement. I remember before I had kids seeing moms in stores with misbehaving children and thinking why don't they make the act differently or make them behave. I no longer think this, I just feel for the mom. I now know every child comes with there own personality and disposition, and there is really not to many things you can make a kid do. You can force the food in there mouth but you can't make them swallow. You can make them get in bed but you can't make them go to sleep. I'm digressing. So that is my foolishness of the week. Maybe some of you will get a good laugh from this and learn form my mistake. Also, an apology to Mom and Dad, it is always a headache and hassle to get stuff like that fixed and get insurance to fork over the money, and now I have two car accidents I'm responsible for, at least I was the driver for one. Andrew said Monday afternoon,"Mom, I'm sorry I ruined your dads fence." Lexie said, as she shook here index finger,"Grandma is going to be mad mad mad at Andrew." She didn't realize it was Mommy grandma would be mad mad mad at. She also said, "it was scary, scary, scary" with both of her hands out, fingers together shaking them. I'm sure will be talking about this one for months to come. The following terms or expressions are how I spent the rest of Monday feeling, (feel free to add your own as I may have forgotten some important ones): Here's your sign, here comes the village idiot, foolish, small, and negligent mother to name a few.
Saturday, April 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Kim we really are two peas in a pod, I can completely relate. When it comes to kids I think you check your brain at the door. Last year when I had all 6 of my brothers kids, I was so worried about where they were all standing in my driveway that I forgot to shut my car door as I pulled out of my garage. I'm sure you can image the rest. These weren't even my kids so I bet it happens to most moms.
You poor thing. That sounds like a rough day. Man, I thought my Kids were busy. Your Andrew is a genious...he can open the car with the keys!?
Its like you just want to rewind the tape for just like 2 minutes so you can replay that part, and do it differently! I really hate that feeling! Things could have been much worse. Hope the wall gets fixed soon so you don't have that visual reminder each time you visit!
Kimma....I so understand that awuful sound of crunching metal...If you recall I had no fewer than 5 accidents in reverse most in my own driveway....the only problem is I was an adult...I think this mean Andrews driving skills are on par with mine.
Post a Comment