Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"Flashback"

Yesterday night I had a very vivid flashback of my childhood. We were drinking apple juice with dinner. I hardly noticed but after I took a big gulp I sighed a large "ahh." What drew my attention to it was Lexie, copying me and very quickly Andrew as well. It made me laugh because I have a very distinct memory of my Mom doing this after a big swallow of Tab. Do you all remember Tab? I can still picture the pinkish reddish can; and I can certainly here my own Mothers "ahh.'' Jessica (my sister), and I would copy her at lunch doing the exaggerated "ahh's", of course we were drinking nasty milk. It is a memory I sort of forgot about, til yesterday when my own darlings were copying me. Isn't imitation the greatest form of flattery? Also what a great responsibility we have in raising these little rascals, nothing escapes there eyes or ears and at times it feels like a daunting responsibility. I sometimes find myself wondering if there isn't someone better for the task, then I trust the in the fact that these children are in my care for a reason and I remember how lucky I am; cause really they are great kids and I love 'em. So thanks to Andrew and Lexie for reminding me of this funny memory, and thanks to Mom. I bet you never thought two generations later, kids would be imitating your original "ahh."

5 comments:

Alissa said...

KIm
I love reading your blog! You are an amazing writer! I am going to try to imitate you and write more in mine! I too love being a mom! sometimes I just stare in amazement at my children! We love you guys

Jessica O. said...

My kids do this also. Only we use Diet Mt. Dew (i wish it were Pepsi). I don't think the kids make up the exaggeration. Mom exaggerates and so do we. We probably shouldn't drink all that soda but it does provide some good times and simple joys. I am not quitting!!

Heather said...

Whenever I see tab, I think of your mom.

Maranda said...

Kim,

You are a good mommy!

P.S. forget the agency thing...you should be a writer!

Nicole said...

Tab tab cola what a beautiful treat, tab your beautiful to me, great taste, one calorie, tab! I forgot one sentence but I can still see a pretty woman walking the beach drinking a tab. I'm glad they have come out with different diet drinks. They are better than tab. I am almost to the point where the diet thing doesn't even bother me. This family definitely has a drinking problem.